corruption

DOLLS FOR SICK KIDS

BY VICKEY STAMPS

Dolls #124-127 outside clothes

Before my retirement in 1999, I made my first doll for an 8 year old local child with cancer. The doll was red headed and was missing a patch in the back. This was done because cancer patients so often lose their hair. The hair was placed in a bag, so when the childs hair returned, the child could have the dolls hair put back on its head. I made an occassional doll now and then, but began in more ernest after retirement, when fabrics began being donated from all over the USA, along with ribbons and trim for the dresses. While my first doll came from a pattern, the rest evolved from my getting down on my knees (humbleness is a good thing) and drawing out my own designs for both boy and girl dolls. They have become larger over the years, as the children seem to love a toddler sized doll. The girl dolls have a pretty dress and a simple embroideredd face with a smile. When you flip the skirt, she becomes a second doll wearing a nice nightgown with a sleepy face . She is 24 inches high. The boys turn front to back, and are 28 inches high. They turn front to back to reveal two faces as well. The boys wear street clothes.

Most of the dolls have been disbursed to the American Cancer Society, and others found their way to other children with big problems. I was told of two girls laid to rest with their dolls . I often do not hear from those getting the dolls, but their happiness in having them is a much larger issue. Dolls have gone to a child in need of a heart and liver transplant, to a child in need of a kidney transplant, to a child that had a triple transplant, to a child with an enlarged aortic valve, and 3 with brain cancers. The list continues.

Since I am limited in activities I can do, because of only having 34% lung capacity, this is one of the things I can do. I am a 72 year old retired nurse, an unpaid writer, a sewer and crafter, etc. I teach knit and crochet class once a week.

I reached a main goal of 100 dolls. When one of the donators of clothes for the boys found out I had no proper table to cut the bodies and clothes out on, she and her daughter sent me a cutting table. I had been on the floor on my knees cutting out each item needed for the dolls and they thought that just was not right. Because of the generosity of others I have moved forward to a goal of at least 200. In actuality, I hope I can make more. No promises but hope, and sometimes hope is everything. I have a non-profit account through my wonderful Tri-Counties Bank on 3rd street. (They are wonderful to me.) The account is called DOLLS FOR SICK KIDS. I try to hang onto donations within that account for supplies if needed, and mainly for  postage and and handling fees (P & H). It costs me $21 to $23 dollars each to mail them off. This is because I am unable to find a box that fits the dolls at the post office and can’t afford to splurge on ordering  boxes on line. The boxes cost from $3 to $4.50 each at my mailing place. This is part of the P&H cost and goes up from there dependent on where the dolls are being sent.

The dolls take three yards of fabric for the two dresses, and 1 for the body. It costs as much as $3.00 for the ribbon and dress trims. The girl dolls take 12 hours to make. The boys a few less, as I generally go to half off sales at a thrift shop and buy their clothes there in  month sizes. The boys wear adult size beanie caps. Because I give most dolls to the cancer society I do not add hair but a mop cap for the girls and the beanie cap for the boys. I try to vary skin tones as I can for different cultures. The lady from the cancer place says the kids don’t care. Sometimes the adults have the problem.

26 Responses to DOLLS FOR SICK KIDS

1. Cynthia L Matti Ehlers Reply

May 9, 2019 at 7:34 pm

My daughter is carrying a baby with half a heart and won’t survive after birth. She has a 7 year old daughter with special needs who doesn’t understand why her sister isn’t going to come home. I am looking for a doll named Mya which is the sick babies name with a sick heart that the older sister can take care of?

2. Vonnie Reply

May 24, 2017 at 3:42 am

Feel Better Friends are handmade dolls stuffed with love and well wishes, crafted by volunteers and donated to children battling cancer and other illnesses.

3. tammy holliefield Reply

August 23, 2015 at 11:53 am

You are a blessing to all that receive your dolls. The lord has truly touched your life. I just want to let you know what an inspiration your story was to me and how it touched me. I love to sew, and I hope to touch lives as well. Thank you again and god bless you.

4. Joan Howard Reply

November 23, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Dear Vickie
    Greetings from South Africa. What an inspiration you truely are!
    You have given me an idea for using up all my quilting scraps to be made into small bags to keep hopes and dreams in which I shall pass along to one of our local charities here. Many thanks for giving me the gentle nudge that I so needed.
    Christmas blessings to you and your.
    Love Joan

• Vickey Stamps Reply

November 25, 2012 at 11:32 am

thanks so much for your reply. I got that same gentle nudge myself, and here I am with the dolls.

Good luck with your bags. I think that is a wonderful idea. Love to see a picture of what you will be making sometime. my email is
      wordpaintervs@live.com

God Bless you and yours

5. Helen Gregory Reply

November 23, 2012 at 9:10 am

Dear Vickey
    I am living in South Africa. We use to make teddy bears for the abuse and rape victims, mainly small children. However, your doll making has inspired me again to do something for the little girls in particular. I am going to get a pattern for the dolls and go from there. I am a very active 75 year old granny with my son and family living in San Diego. Bless all you do.

• Vickey Stamps Reply

November 23, 2012 at 4:22 pm

thank you Helen and I know the little girls (make boy dolls also) and boys will love something they can compare to themselves.

Hugs and God Bless

Vickey

6. Carole groom Reply

November 23, 2012 at 7:21 am

The dolls are beautiful. And I admire your patience to make so many. If I had a pattern for them I would be only to pleased to make some for you to send to the hospital. If its possible, please can I have your email and the pattern for them. Also the address to send them too. Keep up the good work. Kind regards Carole.

7. Carolyn Norby Reply

November 18, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I am so very proud of you. So very lucky to have you as my step mother. I know God has a special place in Heaven for you. Love you, Carolyn

• Vickey Stamps Reply

November 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Thanks Buttons. I couldn’t ask for a greater message than what you sent. Buckets of hugs. God Bless you and yours.

Love
      MOM #2

8. suanne moodie Reply

November 16, 2012 at 10:44 pm

vicky, I am so honored to know you and all you do! you truely are a blessing from above!! I can not even begin to imagine all the joy, love, and comfort your labors of love have given to all the lives you have touched!!! And I enjoy and treasure the pleasure of being your next door neighbor!! you and your husband are great!! take care, love you, Suanne

• Vickey Stamps Reply

November 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm

your precious words warm my heart dear friend and neighbor, and it is you and your family (and the fur friends) that have warmed our hearts these many years. Hugs to you and yours by the bucketful!

God Bless

Vickey S.

9. Shirley Peter Reply

November 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Vicky,this is such a wonderful service to others and I know that God is pleased with you. When I was a little girl I would have loved one of the toddler sized dolls. What a talent! And what a blessing you are with your stories and your cretions!God bless you. Shirley.

• Vickey Stamps Reply

November 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Thanks dear Shirley. I wish I could do more. All my dolls get a prayer that they will make a child happy and give them comfort in the times that are not so great.

I am glad for all the comments of folks that like what I write. It warms my heart.

God bless you and yours.

HUGS

Vickey Stamps

10. Barbara Carter Reply

November 15, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Dearest Vickey – I met you several years ago through your writings/stories which I thoroughly enjoy. THen you sent pictures of those precious dolls you make for sick children. As one of your friends said in his reply here – YOU ARE THE WOMAN OF THE YEAR — to many many people whose children you have blessed with your dolls and your love.

Very sincerely
    With love
    Barb & Joe Carter

• Vickey Stamps Reply

November 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Thanks so much dear Barb and Joe. I appreciate those words. I am glad I am able to help those children. I only wish I could do more, but unfortunately, with my health there isn’t much more I can manage.

Hugs to you both

Vickey Stamps

11. Ann Reply

November 15, 2012 at 10:11 am

You know I love you and all that you do for everyone even when you are not well.
    Godd Bless you!
    Sass

(Ann Forrest)

• Vickey Stamps Reply

November 15, 2012 at 11:25 am

Thanks Precious friend for those words. Hugs by the bucketful and a big God Bless

Vickey

• Naty Reply

December 17, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Do you have a new doll or older model doll? Also is it American Girl Doll brand, and is the wig original acireman girl doll brand?Thanks.Sorry that this happened to your doll.It worked with my dolls (probably because they are older dolls.)It also worked with stephenswodadancer’s doll, Leah.If you could please answer the questions so that I can help other girls learn about the straightening and if it will work for their dolls.

12. George Cates Reply

November 15, 2012 at 4:56 am

Living in Arkansas, I became acquainted with Vickey several years ago through her awesome writings, then learned about her doll making for precious little ones with cancer. We both wrote articles for a monthly magazine, and like Vickey received no pay. That was alright, we loved what we did. I came upon word of a young girl with cancer who lived in Alaska. Told Vickey, gave her a mailing address and that girl received one of Vickey’s dolls. Oh, what a difference that made and what her grandparents here told me.
    If I had my way, Vickey would be “Woman Of The Year!”
    God bless and know you are always in our prayers.
    George and Marilyn Cates,
    Bergman, Arkansas

• Vickey Stamps Reply

November 15, 2012 at 9:15 am

Thanks so very much for those special words to me. Big hugs to you both. God Bless you both as well.

Vickey Stamps

13. Eddie Moore Reply

November 15, 2012 at 2:13 am

you are incredible and I am so proud of you, even if you are my Mom!
    I love you and wish I could do more to help
    Eddie

• Vickey Stamps Reply

November 15, 2012 at 9:15 am

thanks dear son. Being your mom is gift enough. I love you.

MOM

14. Vickey Stamps Reply

November 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm

thanks Donna for the publication. I forgot to say the the boys wear 6 month size clothes, and only long pants due to their clubby legs. I love them in bib overalls. (Giggling)

I hope many enjoy my story.

Thanks again.