By Donna Westfall – Dcember 4, 2017 – During the live conference televised this morning on Facebook by Breitbart, 35 year old, Press Secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, made the statement that President Trump’s entire salary is donated on a quarterly basis.
The position of President currently pays a $400,000 salary. Trump’s net worth when taking office about $3.7 billion which makes him the richest President to ever hold office.
- First quarter, Trump donated his salary to the National Park Service to restore two projects at a national battlefield.
- Second quarter, he donated his salary to the Education Department toward hosting a camp for science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) students.
- Third quarter, he donated to Heath and Human Services (HHS) Specifically for the opioid epidemic.
There have been two other Presidents that have donated their salaries:
- John F. Kennedy, net worth $1 billion, donated to Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America, the United Negro College Fund, and the Cuban Families Committee.
2. Herbert Hoover. Some went to help boost his staff’s salary. $50,000 went to Stanford University where he studied geology and then made his fortune in mining. Hoover never allowed his numerous donations made public or politicized. Part of his charitable nature came from being orphaned at a young age and raised as a Quaker from which he gained a strong sense of moral virtue, an appreciation for voluntary service, and a relentless work ethic. He helped save millions from starvation after two world wars. In 1913, his net worth was about $75 million.
A side note about annual salary from the beginning of our country. George Washington was paid $25,000 a year which in today’s dollars equals about $600,000. His net worth in today’s dollars about $575 million.
#GivingTuesday is a call to philanthropists to celebrate and encourage giving.