Wed. Jun 12th, 2024

Usually I don’t watch TV while exercising at the gym, but tonight was different. The headline was about a woman who’s heart stopped beating and had no pulse for 45 minutes. Then, spontaneously, she literally came back from the dead.

What caused her heart to stop beating?
40 year old Ruby Graupea-Cassimiro went to the hospital on September 23rd to have a C-section. Everything went well until she complained of shortness of breath. Then the unthinkable happened. She died for 45 minutes. The doctors tried to revive her for three hours. It didn’t work.

The doctors think that she had a rare condition called an amniotic fluid embolism, which is what happens when the amniotic fluid leaks into the blood stream, causing blood clots. Amniotic fluid contains components that cause an inflammatory reaction and activate clotting in the mother’s lungs and blood vessels. This can lead to brain damage or even brain death.

In 2008, Miranda Klassen suffered from an amniotic fluid embolism after the birth of son. There was no support, nowhere to turn to ask questions or obtain help so she started a foundation to help others around the world. Her website Amniotic Fluid Embolism Foundation is a wealth of information helping families understand and cope with tragic death instead of what should have been a joyous occasion. The leading cause of maternal death in Australia and Japan is AFE. It’s the second leading cause of death in the US and United Kingdom. Yet, it’s very rare worldwide. The statistics are scary though. 80% of those women who suffer an AFE die. The question that comes to mind is whether or not performing a C-section could be connected to AFE. The AFE Foundation has not taken a stand based on too little scientific information.

What brought Ruby back to life?

One doctor reported that Ruby told her sister that she saw their deceased father and he told her she needed to come back. This near death experience is not easily explained away. While living in Ojai, California, I attended a meeting of a couple dozen people who also experienced a near death experience. Leaving that meeting I recall thinking that the biggest impact I came away with was that those people no longer feared death.

These days Ruby is alive and well suffering no neurological problems and enjoying her baby daughter. Many call her experience a miracle. I would agree.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *