By Donna Westfall – August 12, 2017 – Supervisor Roger Gitlin sits on the Prison Advisory Board. During their last meeting held Wednesday, August 9th at 3 pm, the following were discussed:
- Current inmate count stands at 2,082.
- There used to be 700 officers and 3,623 inmates. That was too many. They had riots, double bunking. They want the inmate population to stay between 2200-2300.
- They just hired 35 more officers with another 19 more coming.
- Men sentenced to life in prison now have lots of way to get time reduced on their life sentence.
- Many of the correctional officers stay about a year then transfer out. Some transfers out are due to being away from family.
- There are currently 15 different programs teaching inmates skills so that they can get jobs when they leave prison.