From Superbuzzy – January 10, 2018 –
We have received an outpouring of concern and well wishes from our friends around the world regarding the devastating Thomas Fire. Now is the time to focus that positive energy and creativity to help those whose lives have been disrupted by this record breaking disaster. As of 1/3/18, more than 1,100 structures have been destroyed in the fire of which an estimated 775 were single family homes. We know that the holiday season is a hectic time of year for many, and we appreciate any help that you are able to provide. This will be an extended timeline for relief efforts as it will take months for displaced families to settle into new or temporary housing and get back to a normal routine. There are many ways you can help!
- Bed-size quilts: Please send completed quilts in twin, full, queen, and king sizes in any design.
- Quilt tops: If you have a completed quilt top, but don’t have the time to complete it, we will help to get it finished and distributed to someone in need.
- Quilt Blocks: In conjunction with the Ventura Modern Quilt Guild, we are accepting donations of the Perkiomen Valley Block. Ventura Modern Quilt Guild members will work to assemble the blocks into completed quilts. We invite other quilt guilds to donate individual blocks, or to work collaboratively to create quilt tops and/or completed quilts. For quilts made from the Perkiomen Valley Blocks, we are asking for a 72″ x 84″ finished quilt (42 blocks total per quilt).
- Pre-Cut Fabric: The Perkiomen Valley Block uses 5″ fabric squares. If you are unable to sew blocks, but you have 5″ or 10″ charm packs or squares of quilt shop quality fabric to donate, we will gladly accept them and assemble them into quilt tops. You can do this 2 ways: send your own charm packs or squares, or purchase a charm pack or layer cake through our website for the Thomas Fire relief quilts.
- Quilt Backing: We will need large cuts of fabric to back the unfinished quilts. Please send quilt shop quality fabrics in cuts of 4 yards or larger for quilt backs. Wideback fabrics (108″ wide fabric) are high on the wish list!
- Batting: We will need batting for the unfinished quilts. Please send bed size (twin, full, queen and/or king) batting to help us complete the quilts.
- Thread: We will need a lot of thread to piece and quilt these quilts, and we welcome donations of good quality, new cotton thread in 40 or 50 weight.
- Pillowcases: please send standard size pillowcases for children and adults. The Roll It Up pattern and tutorial is quick and fun to make.
- Sewing & Quilting Help: If you are not in the Ventura Modern Quilt Guild, but would like to help in the assembly and completion of the Thomas Fire quilts, please let us know. We will get in touch when we are ready to start the assembly process and have scheduled sew-ins.
Lastly, if you are in a quilt or sewing guild, or are involved in another sewing group of some kind, please help us to spread the word. Share this web page or our social media posts widely. We appreciate your help in getting the word out.
Please send all donations to:
Thomas Fire Relief