Commentary By Donna Westfall – February 26, 2022
Assemblyman Kevin Kiley has put forward AB1638 to reduce gas taxes by 50 cents.
Call him at his Capitol Office – (916) 319-2006 or at his district office – (916) 774-4430 and extend your support. OR write to him at:
Sacramento, CA 94249
8799 Auburn-Folsom Road, Ste. A
Granite Bay, CA 95746
California reputedly has a budget surplus of $60 BILLION, what better timing than to reduce the gas tax with gas prices reaching for the sky?
Our own District 2 Assemblyman Jim Woods needs to jump in with both feet and support this bill. His contact info:
1036 5th Street
Eureka, CA 95501
Tel: (707) 445-7014
Fax: (707) 445-6607
About the California Assembly:
There are 80 seats.
- 55 are held by Democrats which equates to supporting more and more and higher taxes.
- 19 seats are held by Republicans which purport smaller government and lower taxes.
- 1 seat is held by an Independent.
How to persuade the Assembly members to support this bill?
Speak up. Speak out. Spread the word. Stop complaining and do something. It’s easy enough to make a phone call.
We’re currently paying $1.18 cents per gallon in taxes and fees and it breaks down this way:
Federal Excise Tax: 18 cents per gallon
State Excise Tax: 51 cents per gallon
Sales Tax (estimated): 10 cents per gallon
- Low Carbon Gas Programs: 22 cents per gallon
- Greenhouse Gas Programs: 15 cents per gallon
- Underground Tank Storage: 2 cents per gallon
California has the highest gas prices in the nation. Not something to be proud of.
If we are successful in getting the gas taxes reduced, maybe we can start to concentrate on reducing DMV registration fees next.